Tuesday 21 April 2015

I Dream To Win Grammy – John Agoha


John Agoha, an up-and-coming artiste who describes his blend of Afro-pop music as jazzy is dreaming big. In this chat with Christian Agadibe, the Omalicha singer reveals that his dream is to win a Grammy.
Interview Excerpts:
Give us an insight into yourself?
My name is John Agoha. I was born and raised in Benin City. I started singing from the church choir. From there I was discovered and enrolled in a music school, Benjuck Showbiz Academy, and I started music professionally in 2006.  The first time I was paid for performing was in 2006; it was the sum of N200, 000 for a show I did with Star.



Tell us about your journey into music?
It all began at Star Quest auditions were I was picked out of 5000 people in Benin. I came to Lagos and I ended up first runners-up. After Star Quest, there was this contest in South Africa called Music Jamboree. I was the only guy that was picked from Nigeria and I was the first runner up.  A South African girl called Benga won it. The concert was held in East London, Cape Town and Johannesburg. After that, I returned to Nigeria and started my music career and released my first single on the platform of Shaka Records. It was entitled Omalicha. It did so well especially in Port Harcourt. After Omalicha, I did Celense.
Has anyone tried to discourage you from doing music before?
A lot of people have tried, even girlfriends. I had to quit a lot of relationships because my partner wanted me to quit music. I walked away from a relationship because my lover didn’t like what I was doing. She felt I should be in business or get a job in an oil company or work in a bank. She said she wasn’t comfortable introducing me as a musician to her family and friends and so we broke up.
How would you describe your kind of music?
My kind of music is Afro-pop but I love Jazz; I do jazz a lot and that is why I am trying to get people to write jazz songs for me; anything I write turns out jazzy.
Which artistes have influenced your kind of music?
No one really, when people ask me if I have a role model I simply tell them I don’t have any.  There is no one I am looking up to; I want to be me.
What is the source of your inspiration?
Things around me, I think a lot and I get inspiration when I want to.
What are the challenges you are facing right now?
Finance. If you have money, in 90 days you can be anywhere you want to be in this industry; you can be a household name at the snap of a finger if you have the money.
Are you single or married?
Single
Are you seeing anyone currently?
(Laughs) No, one yet; I am still searching.
Could you describe that ideal woman you want to settle down with?
I want a shapely woman. She must be petite like Genevieve Nnaji. I am not attracted to tall girls.
Which of your songs is being played on radio now?
There is a new one entitled Go Down. It is doing well on Wazobia, Beat FM, Naija FM and Rhythm 93.7.
In the next five years, where do you see yourself?
Five years is too much. In the next one year, you will see me becoming one of the A-list stars in Nigeria. My dream in music is to win a Grammy.

No comments: