Monday 24 August 2015

'Boy Allegedly Killed By Landlady' , Father Demands Justice


The father of 20-year-old Emmanuel Asuquo, who was allegedly set ablaze by his landlady, Jane Osasa, in the Ajegunle area of Lagos State has called on the Inspector General of Police to give the family justice.
According to Punch
Pastor Matthew Asuquo said Emmanuel’s death marked the end of hope for him and his family, adding that the victim was preparing for a certificate exam on the night he was set ablaze.
The 62-year-old retired civil servant, during a visit to his residence on Alafua Street, Ayetoro, in the Ajegunle area of Lagos, said that his son died partly due to the dereliction of duty by policemen in the Ajeromi division.
Pastor Matthew explained that he had been having running battles with the landlady over alleged illegal medical activities.
He said, “I have been living in the house for a long time. But when the landlord died, his son took over the management of the house and he married Jane just recently.
“Since she came into the house, she had been taking deliveries of babies and doing abortion for young women as well.
“Because my apartment is close to the exit door at the boys’ quarters, I usually woke up to see a lot of blood on the passage. I complained to her husband that he should caution his wife. From then, she began to have animosity with my family.
“It was my wife that was first attacked. She had challenged her on an issue relating to the boys’ quarters. She stabbed my wife in the head. She even came to my church with a man and her uncle to threaten me.”
He said he reported his wife’s assault at the Ajeromi Police Division and the suspect was arrested.
Our correspondent learnt that the matter was later taken to the court, where the suspect was represented by two lawyers. the suspect was later granted bail.
Pastor Matthew, who hails from Akwa Ibom State, said his niece came on a visit on August 8, and was watching television when power was disrupted.
It was learnt that while standing on the balcony, the landlady attacked her.
He said because of the unsatisfactory way the first case was handled by the Ajeromi police, he reported the matter at the Area B Command.
He said, “But she sighted me with the policemen from the command and fled the house. We returned to the station and a senior police officer gave me a letter to the Ajeromi divison that the suspect must be arrested.
“The police arrested and detained her at the Ajeromi station on August 10. The parents of the girl she attacked insisted that the matter must go to court.
“The DPO of the station assured me that Jane would be detained and taken to the court the following day from the station.
“However, I was surprised when around 11.30pm, I saw the suspect in the neighbourhood. The IPO told me that the DCO forced him to release her.”
Pastor Asuquo said on August 11, around 2.45am, Emmanuel, who was preparing for a computer engineering exam in Ikeja later in the day, went out of the apartment with his sister to use the toilet.
He said, “My boy and his sister wanted to use the toilet, but Emmanuel entered first.
“Some minutes later, she went back to the toilet. That was when she raised the alarm that her brother was on fire.”
The victim’s father said he rushed to the place and met his son “badly burnt.”
The victim was said to have been rejected at several hospitals, before he was admitted at the Tolu Medical Centre where he died.
He added that before dying, Emmanuel told him that the landlady’s people attacked him.
He said, “My son told me that as he was coming out of the toilet, petrol was poured on his face.
“He said he saw a man who was with the landlady and her uncle when they came to our church to threaten me.”
Pastor Matthew said he suspected that the suspects knew he was diabetic and usually visited the toilet regularly.
He added that he was the target of the attack and not his son, adding that the assailants wanted to truncate the court hearing of the assault on his niece.
“I want justice. He was my only son. I am 62 years and I am a retired civil servant. All my investment has been on him. It would have been better if they killed me, rather than the boy,” he added.
It was learnt that the victim’s family had already petitioned the IG over the case.
Our correspondent attempted to speak with people in the house, but they declined comment.
When our correspondent approached the apartment of the landlord, Mr Loius Osasa, he was said to be away.
Our correspondent, however, left his contact with a man who claimed to be a relative, but the landlord had yet to get back to our correspondent as of press time.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Patricia Amadin, when contacted, said she would call back, but she had yet to do so as of the time of filing this report.

No comments: