Friday 15 May 2015

Good Samaritan Crushed To Death In Lagos While Trying To Separate Fight On The Road


Tragedy struck on Limca Road in the Iyana Isolo area of Lagos State on Thursday after a speeding truck crushed a warehouse driver to death.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the driver, identified as Rafiu Baale, was pushed into the path of the truck by a tricycle driver, Imeh Matthew, during an affray.
Our correspondent learnt that Imeh and his brother were in the tricycle when a car driver bashed it.


They were said to have stopped in front of the warehouse, where the incident happened, to challenge the car owner.
The action created gridlock, forcing the manager of the warehouse to intervene. He asked the warring parties to vacate the company’s gate area.
The deceased, who was a driver with the company, also came out and joined in the call for calm.
However, as the affray and the peace making continued, the tricycle driver was alleged to have pushed Baale to the road and he was crushed to death by a speeding truck.

The matter was said to have been reported at the Answani Police Station, and the truck driver, Aliu Salisu, and the tricycle driver, Imeh, were arrested.
Twenty-five-year old Imeh told PUNCH Metro that he acted in self-defence and had no intention of killing the victim.
He said on the day of the incident, he had parked his tricycle at a junction to eat, adding that it was while returning in his younger brother’s tricycle that the incident happened.
He said, “I am a tricycle driver and I ply Iyana Isolo to Jakande Estate route every day. I have been driving for the past five years.

“On Thursday, last week, I was in my brother’s tricycle when a car hit us.
“I came down with my brother to challenge the man.
“It was while doing this that the manager of the company emerged from somewhere and asked why we were making a noise.

“I was about explaining to him when he slapped me. I wanted to talk and he slapped me again.
“He said we should leave the place. Then the driver of the car that bashed us also started struggling with me.
“They all came out from the company and were holding and pulling me. It was when I wanted to defend myself that I mistakenly pushed the man.”

No comments: