Wednesday, 24 December 2014

Siasia Picks Four Pros, 35 Others For Gabon Clash


* AYC: Garba Invites 30 players to Camp
Coach Samson Siasia has selected 35 home-based and four foreign-based players for a final phase of preparations for an All Africa Games qualifier against Gabon.

The selected players are expected to arrive the Serob Hotel camp in Abuja on January 4.
Siasia disclosed that the team's training will now move into the more serious phase as he and his technical team have been able to separate the boys from the men, and that this is time to go into tactical.


"I must commend all those who came for the exercise, that we did not select you does not mean you are not good enough, but the reality is that only 35 players must be selected, and that was the job we did," he said.
"We have dropped you now, for you to go back to your clubs and work extra hard to make this team in the future, the doors of this team are not shut to you, if you improve and we see you playing for your clubs we will invite you to come and fight for a shirt, so don't be discouraged at not being selected.
"For those of you selected, you are just lucky, but to keep your place in this team you must go back home and continue training so as not to fall by the way side when we begin the next phase of camping, I have been impressed with what you guys have shown me and I can safely say we have a future."

The U-23 team coach then said he had to select only 4 foreign pros, so as not to build of team of foreign players, and that as the team progresses more of such players will be invited to camp to also be part of the team.
Meanwhile, Coach Manu Garba of the national U-20 team, the Flying Eagles, has also called up nine foreign-based and 21 home-based players to camp ahead of the 2015 African U-20 Championship.

In a statement issued yesterday in Abuja, the team’s Media Officer, Samm Audu, said the players were expected to report to the training camp in Kaduna from Dec. 27.

NAN reports that the invitation followed a screening already conducted by the team’s technical crew earlier this month.
According to the statement, the professional players are Isaac Success of Granada FC, Taiwo Awoniyi from Kalmar FC and Manchester City duo of Kelechi Iheanacho and Chidiebere Nwakali.

The others are Chidera Eze of FC Porto, Daddy Moses and Kingsley Madu, both of AS Trencin of Slovakia, Musa Yahaya of Tottenham Hotspur of England and Musa Muhammed.

NAN reports that the full squad of the players has four goal keepers,
six defenders, seven midfielders and 13 strikers.

The  championship which is in its 20th edition has been scheduled to hold in Senegal from March 8 to March 22, 2015.
The team has been drawn in Group A of the championship with hosts Senegal, Congo and Cote d’Ivoire.

The Flying Eagles will open their campaign on March 8 against Senegal in Dakar, then battle Congo on March 11.
They will play their final Group A game against Cote d’Ivoire on March 14.

Source: Thisdaylive

No comments: