Saturday 14 February 2015

The Dbanj Brand: Dead Or Alive?

Do I even say that everything happened by sheer providence? I met D’banj and Don Jazzy about nine years ago through Dumebi Kachikwu who introduced me to these two burgeoning artistes then.

 When Kachukwu called me, l told him l was on a three-month maternity leave and that l would give him my colleague’s number to call so he could assist him with whatever they wanted to do. He insisted he wanted me on board; that D’banj and Don Jazzy would meet me at home or where ever l wanted. 


Bewildered but I braved the odd somehow. I told him l couldn’t leave my house because my baby was pretty young and was still breastfeeding. However, l probed a little further why Kachikwu wanted me to do an interview with them at all cost which in my modest submission, anyone in my office could as well prosecute. And I still have a strong presence of mind, don’t mind me, I just don’t forget certain things. 

These were his exact words: “These guys are stars, they are going to big mark my words” and l asked: “Which star? Nobody knows these your emergency stars o.” l remarked jocularly. Kachukwu insisted that they were stars and would be big soon in the Nigerian entertainment industry. 

Well, as a Christian, I know what the Bible says of our humble beginnings. Kachikwu continued: “Azuka, l believe in these guys. They are talented, we must support them, l really need you to come on board. You have to do this for me, please.” He pleaded tenaciously. 

Words almost failed me. My curiosity swelled almost to a crescendo as l pondered what was the might of these men who was making Kachikwu plead this way. Now, this wasn’t about playing hard to get; l just had a baby l wanted to spend time with her.

 It was my maternity leave but Kachikwu’s constant calls and pleas to interview these guy took my resolve out of the equation. I found myself shifting grounds against my will. Even Israel Edjeren  who was part of the project then was also harassing me with calls on the other side to the extent he had to visit me at home apparently to know if I was playing hard to get but they found out the truth anyway. 

The truth was my baby was ‘shacking’ me as they say and she was all that mattered at that moment of my solitude.

No comments: