Friday 21 November 2014

‘What You Don’t know About Nigerian Girl’


He has been a Nigerian artiste in the Diaspora and his first single, “Harmony”, was number one for a while on the chart in Canada but now he is back home to contribute his quota to the development of the Nigerian music industry and the nation at large. Akin Busari, Canadian-based multiple entrepreneur and R&B singer speaks to Mary Ekah about his 14-year exploits in Canada and why he’s returning to Nigeria.

Can you talk a bit about your sojourn to Canada and what took you there in the first place?
I went to Canada to school originally and after schooling, I ended up working, and then music. Everything else just took off from there. But first it was school.
What did you go there to study?
I studied Computer Science.
Science and then art, how did you come in terms with the two different fields?
The thing is that I have been singing for a while even before I left for studies in Canada. I have been singing right from when I was seven years old, writing my own songs and stuff like that. So music has always been a part of me and when I got to Canada, it was kind of easier for me to build up on my talent and kept doing that which I love, which is music. 
You started writing songs at the age of seven, were you able to do anything professional before now?
I was actually working on an album with a popular artist before I had to travel to Canada for my schooling and my plans then was to come back home and continue with my musical career but it turned out that God had a different plan for me and that was how I stayed put in Canada for a long while and this is where I am today.

What year did you travel to Canada?
I left in 2003 at the age of 18. I was doing music back to back - schooling and doing music at the same time. I started as an independent artiste but I needed to break the ice in Canada and I thought to myself that I have to do something that would make me stand out, so that I would not be regarded as a local artiste who was just trying to survive in the music industry or something of that nature. So I decided to attach myself to a campaign, a sort of issue that the society identified with so that I could get my recognition. And at the same time, because I am passionate about anti-violence activities and coupled with the fact that in 2006 there were a lot of violence acts between the black community and the white in a part of Canada.
There were gang related shooting and stuff like that, which resulted in the death of a lot of young people, so the police in Canada decided to start an initiative called, Connect-to-end-Violence, so I got involved in the campaign and because of my involvement in it, helping the community and young people especially, I was able to come to the limelight as an artistes in Canada. And then I wrote songs about anti-violence, printed T-shirts and did anti-violence walk among the youths, going from one college to another to perform and like that, I was able to build my brand in Canada.
How was the reception of your music at Canada?
My first single; “Harmony” released in Canada, topped the music charts in major Canadian radio stations for a while. So there have been huge receptions for my songs in Canada. My music talks about peace, unity and the essence of coming together as one rather that perpetuating violence in any way.
What was it like being a Nigerian but making huge impact on the Canadians with your music?
I think that is what we all have to do. We are all here to make a mark. One way or the other, everyone is an influencer even though we all have different levels of influence in the world. So with the thought of that in mind, I just wanted to contribute my own little quota to the society through my music. I wanted to leave a legacy that I can always look back and be proud of when I am old.
You have been making waves in Canada and yet you have decided to come back to Nigeria. What informed that decision?
Nigeria is home and I know I will surely come back home someday no matter what. So why delay the inevitable? Besides, considering the kind of music that is being produced by most artistes who sometimes portray the women folk as sex objects, thereby distorting the true definition and character of the Nigerian woman, I decided to come home to debut my new songs, one of which is, “Nigeria Girl”, which celebrate the beauty and true value of the Nigerian woman. I was also missing my mom too, because I didn’t see her for eleven years, not until I came back a couple of weeks ago. And seeing her after 11 years was so emotional.
So how do you intend to take off now that you are back?
I have come back to contribute my own quota in developing the music industry in Nigeria. I released an album in Canada titled, “True Stories”, the album consist of hip-hop, R&B, and American style, so my goal now is to come home and do my African debut album. The album has a fusion of African sounds and would be different from the norm. It is something that is intended to uplift and inspire our people and because I am versatile, the album comes a mixed of different styles and genres.
How many tracks do you have in the new album?
We are still working on it. I have a lot of songs that I may still put on it. We have not really compiled the final album yet but work is still in progress. However, the hit track right now is, “Nigerian Girl”, which is playing on premium radio stations across Nigeria dedicated to black women in Africa especially, Nigerian ladies.
Why sing about the Nigerian girl and not a Canadian girl?
The word ‘Niger’ or ‘Nigro’ portrays black, so being a Nigerian, actually means you are a black person and if you look at Nigeria as a nation, it has the largest constitution of black people in the whole world. So I just decided to focus on the Nigerian girl. A lot of it also has to do with the metaphor, Nigerian girl, which stands for black girl and represents African women and that is where the idea came from. And the idea behind the lyrics is to write something different and that is capable of inspiring every Nigerian girl and black African woman of which they would identify with.
Who is your ideal Nigerian girl?
A woman does not need to be extravagant to be beautiful. Some girls overdo things just in a bid to look beautiful.  To me, it does not make sense. When you are natural, you look more beautiful, especially when you adorn yourself with the African fabric and costumes. That means you appreciate nature and your culture rather than trying to be someone else or portray someone else’s culture. My ideal girl is that which portrays the natural African beauty. And if I have to choose a wife, I will chose a woman that appreciate her natural beauty, values herself by covering her body and that appreciates her culture and that is exactly what my music, “Nigerian Girl” represents.
Apart from music, what else do you do for a living?
I have multiple companies, which I would not want to talk about because I do not want that to overshadow my musical career.  I am an entrepreneur and I have had the privileged of being raised by entrepreneur parents and with my exposure abroad, I run multiple companies, which are different from my music. I try to kind of keep that separate.  But music is I and there is something about doing what you love and you have always wanted to do; it just comes naturally. For example, I don’t find it difficult writing songs.  They just come naturally to me and I think it has pleased God to bless me with that gift and it would be an honor to share it with the world. The only companies that matters right now is the Uplifting and Inspiring (U & I) Music, the company that is basically backing my music career and that is what I stand for, I believe all my songs should uplift and inspire people. I am the co-founder of the company; my elder brother is my partner.
You are pushing a song that praises women and their values. A lot of women would be interested in such song and even the singer of the song too. How do you intend to manage the influx of interests from the womenfolk?
Let them come. I am capable to manage as many as possible but I know there would be that perfect person from the influx. Just let it happen naturally. Let them follow me on twitter and histogram and get to know me better and if they like me, well…  and if I like them well… there can be chemistry, you never can tell.
What should we expect from you in few months to come?
I am here to work with all the Nigerian artistes, the ones that are known and not known. I am here to contribute positively to the country and to be a proud Nigerian (which I am), upright citizen and to help my fellow citizens by contributing positively to the country. People should expect positive music from me, music that makes a difference and speaks to the problems that we are going through in the nation today and how we can curb those problems and so on. 

source: thisdaylive

No comments: